Sunday, 12 June 2011

Wet Sunday

It was clear from the moment I looked out of the window with Lucy at the this wasn't going to be a day for going out. The early morning sun was all but gone as the clouds rolled in and darkened the sky. This was going to be a rainy day.


I got up with Lucy on my own. I heard her voice calling me form her bedroom, I had been awake for quiet a while, so I was glad to have something to get up for. There are still loads on my mind and I just wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Soon I had all of Lucy's things in my arms as we headed to the family room were I snuggled her down while I made her a cup of tea and myself a coffee. She has taken to watching Tiny Tots at the moment and every time the adverts were on she would tell me things her sister has. It was really quiet sweet.

Eventually Catherine came down to join here and Lucy delighted in telling the same things about the adverts that she had been telling me. I'm not sure if Catherine was so delighted she was still in a sleepy daze. They watched television for while until Catherine woke up a bit. When she had, she headed to the kitchen and came back with two bowls of cereal lightly sprinkled with sugar.


It didn't take either of long to eat breakfast and Lucy full of energy emptied one of her toy boxes on the floor and was soon sitting in it and playing. First it was something to hide in and then it turned into a bus. It is amazing what something as simple as a box can become in the imagination of a child. I remember when Emily and Catherine were her age a large old cardboard box I had was one of their favorite toys.

After she had run out of idea's for the box for now she headed off up stairs to wake Emily up. She had missed her yesterday when she was out with her friends and she was keen to play with her today. Soon she was on the top bunk with her and snuggled under the blanket as Emily tried to get her back sleep. The was little chance of that as Catherine joined them and soon giggles started and Emily was up and they all headed downstairs together.


Given by this time the raining was coming down it looked like we would be stuck in for most of the day. It was clear that they would need something to do, especially Lucy. I managed to find some old glue and colouring pens and soon Catherine was cutting out shapes and Lucy was colouring them in before sticking them to another bit of paper. All very simple as an idea and very messy and sticky to. Lucy had managed to stick everything together including things that shouldn't have been stuck together. It didn't really matter much and it was all soon cleaned up.

I wish I could have joined in with there game but Sundays are always such busy days when Lucy is here, there always seem loads to do. I wash and dry all her clothes that she came him, her blanket and after making tea in her beaker I even ended up scrubbing it out to remove the stains, and then there were loads of other little things to do to keep me busy. Eventually I found myself making dinner. Nothing special just some hot dogs but they all love them and I'm sure Lucy will get a hot meal later in the day as will Emily and Catherine.


With lucy out of the way Lucy sought out Emily to play with. She found her upstairs and it wasn't long before you could giggling coming down the stairs as I finished off my jobs and put on the washing up. It was nice just listen to them and just knew all was well. Emily was playing her music at one point and you could hear Lucy dancing on the ceiling, but it wasn't long before I had to put an end to their games. Lucy had to get ready to return to Oakham.

Given the messy play of earlier the best way to get her clean was to give her a bath. As I ran her bath Emily got her ready. Soon Lucy was in the bath and washing and splashing Emily who had her feet in the bath. The splashing got so bad at one point that I had to tell Lucy clam down a bit. Emily was fine when it was on her legs but the splashes were getting higher and higher. Soon I had her hair washed and all the bits of glue washed out and she dried. Emily took her off to the bedroom in a towel and dried her hair and bushed it though while I got her clothes and help her dress.  Once this process was finished she played for a few minutes and I got all her things ready to go.

Soon we were heading back to Oakham and the weekend with all my girls would be shortly over. As we drove back we chatted. I got her to promise to be good and we talked about the weekend. She said she enjoyed it and I was happy with that. That is what I want for her. Just to have fun. Then we arrived and she was gone again for a few days.

When I got back the girls had gone onto the computers to chat with friends and play games. Latter we all had a cooked dinner together before they went back to doing there own thing. After dinner they went back to doing there own thing. They are becoming so independent now but lovely with it too. That is if you excuse the odd hormonal  out bust from Emily, but that is to be expected. It is just her age. I'm sure she will get to control them as time goes on. It will be Catherine's turn next.

How do I sum up the day or the weekend, well I'm not sure. I have loved all the highs as I always do and put up with the lows. It is just how life is. In the back of my mind is what will happen after next weekend we have Lucy. The uncertainty and lack of direct communication is a worry. I would be lying if I didn't say it was one of the things on my mind.

No comments: