Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Mainly Sunny

When I got up the sun was shining and the sky was blue. It was the sort of weather I had wanted to see after all the cloud of the weekend. I just hoped that for once the cloud wouldn't bubble up and spoil the day.


I got up at eight just before Emily left and just as Catherine was getting up. Emily is really getting good at getting up now. I'm really impressed given that she use to love her bed so much she would be last person out of it on a school day. Now she gets up does her hair, has breakfast and sorts out her things and leaves with plenty of time to spare. Catherine on the other hand has always been like that. I just wonder if it will go the other way with hers she gets older.

With the girls gone, I tried to get on with catching up on the blog. Over the weekend I had made starts on the posts and written notes and the thoughts at the end of each day but I just hadn't got round to putting the meat on them and part of me wonders if I should post them at all. I just don't want to rock the boat, but at the same time I want to be heard. I still feel like I have writers block at the moment. I just can't keep my mind focused on writing the blog. I'm sure if you have read the blog you will understand the reasons for that.


At noon I headed out to pick up Lucy. By this time the cloud had bubbled up a bit but it was still mainly sunny and warm, but it wasn't going to be the clear day I had hoped for. The last one of those we had when Lucy was here was on the third of June. The pick up from nusery was lovely. Big hugs and everything although we nearly forgot her scooter, but just in time she remembered it and off she trotted to get it. I was glad she had it with her. I had never really seen her on it before, although I had heard about it.

As a special treat we popped to the bakery in Uppingham. Lucy wanted to go there. We ate our rolls overlooking the nearby Eyebrook Reservoir. Normally we sit and look at the birds on the water and the men in their fishing boats fishing for trout, but today we had something else to look at, the cows that are normally the other side of the reservoir were our side today and standing by the edge of the water.


Once we finished eating we headed off to Somerby Park. We went there a few weeks ago and thought that Lucy might enjoy going there again. Although I know she loves the park in the village I am aware that a different parks with different play equipment gives her a new challenge. Something I feel she needs at her age. She loves the swinging tires and keeps attempting the cargo net although she is only exploring the idea at the moment. As for the slide it has rather big steps, but her love of slides doesn't stop her getting to the top and sliding down again and again. What was lovely today was a young woman on a horse rode by. As soon as Lucy spotted the horse she ran to the gate and as a reward the women on the horse gave her a smile.

Eventually it was time to leave and we head back home. As soon as we got in the door Lucy went off to find George who gave her a royal welcome and soon he was following her around as I got on with making a coffee. As I drank my coffee Lucy played in the family room until it was time to get her changes and ready to go out again. Given she had been in the sun once today already this involved coating her with a high factor sun cream. She just seems to love rubbing it in which makes it all the more easy to put on her.


With the sun cream on we first popped to the car to pick up the scooter. Gosh was she fast on the scooter. I spent the first few minutes telling her to slow down. She was confident enough but I wasn't sure of the paths in the village being as good as those in the town. With people heading for the school the roads were as busy as they get. I just didn't want her to hit a bump and go off towards the road. Eventually she told me her mummy told her off for doing the same thing, so I just explained we both just wanted to keep her safe because we love her. She took it all onboard and then she was telling me where it was safe before she started scooting along again at high speed. 

When we got to the park it was empty. I thought there would at least be a few people there enjoying the warm weather, but the place was empty if you exclude the people working on their allotments nearby. It was nice having the place to ourselves and the freedom to do just what you want to do. All we did was set about having fun. Lucy played on the slide and the trim trial until she got to hot and then she played under the slide selling ice creams (see video page). We did this until Catherine joined and I got a chance just to sit back and watch the them play until Emily turned up to join in the games. I just love the way that Lucy greets them both and I will never tire of their happy faces. We all played in the park until just before five when time beat us.


On the way home we went via the church. It was something Catherine suggested and the other two jumped at the idea. We didn't have very long there but they still managed to have fun. It was nice to be in a cool place for a little bit before we finished out journey to the house.

As soon as we got back I got on with some dinner and finishing off the washing for Lucy. Dinner was just something quick. There wasn't time for anything else and soon she was sitting down to eat. All the same she ate all her dinner and her plate was clean. She must have really been hungry after all her playing in the parks. There wasn't much time to play after dinner but the girls made the most of it until it was time for Lucy to get dressed and leave.

When we arrived in Oakham we both had to wait. we knocked on the door but the house seemed empty. After knocking for the third time Lucy's mummy came around the corner with car keys in hand and after a few brief words Lucy disappeared into the house and she was gone. It is hard at the moment, the pretending all is well when that is far from what I feel. I would thought it would be easy now but it is difficult even after doing it for so long. All those people that tell you it gets easier with time are just kidding you. Today it was just awful, well for me at least. It is all crazy, all of it.

When I got home the girls were quiet. It always seems like this after Lucy has gone. I guess she is just so noisy and people make the most of her time here. Emily got on with her homework and between watching television, while Catherine learnt her lines for her school play. It will be a big thing for Catherine to take the stage. Unlike Emily she is shy but I know she has the acting bug in there when pushed. She just has to see it is fun and nothing to be scared of and she will do it. Eventually time caught up with them too and they headed off to bed to sleep until another day.

I guess it has been a good day in that the highs have out weighed the lows. I just wish I could get my message across. It never seems to sink in. It is all so silly. None of it makes sense at times.

No comments: