Saturday, 11 June 2011
Odd Day
Today turned into one those days that really wasn't. It never got started or went anywhere it just seemed to happen around us. I don't think the weather really helped, the wind was cold and as soon as the sun went behind a cloud the temperature just dropped dramatically.
I awoke to the sound of bird song outside the house to be followed by the sound of Lucy calling my name some time later as I was drifting in and out of sleep. As soon as I heard her I got up and was greeted by a smiling face. We both gathered her bits and bobs together and went downstairs. Soon she was settled on the sofa and I made her a cup of tea and myself a coffee. It was just after Lucy had finished her tea that we were joined by Catherine who made Lucy and herself breakfast. It wasn't long before they were both joined on the sofa by Emily and for a while and they all snuggled up together and watched a little more television before Lucy decided it was time to play.
We didn't have Emily long today, she was off out with her friends for the day in Oakham and she had a full schedule. This left Lucy with Catherine as a playmate for the day. Something Catherine jumped at. Now that Lucy is getting older her games are getting more imaginative and I think both of the older girls are enjoying her games more now and they are less repetitive. I know both Emily and Catherine loves playing with Lucy and her dolls house. All I heard all morning was Lucy and Catherine playing in between her visits to see me and have a cuddle.
Just before lunch we popped out to the supermarket to pick up the food for the weekend. By the time we headed out the rain was falling and the showers had set in, not the weather we wanted for the afternoon. The shopping was done quickly and soon we were all home and I was making lunch for everyone which was soon eaten before Catherine and Lucy started were they left off. Thankfully they both found enough to keep them going for the afternoon with my plans for going out being foiled by the weather.
While the girls played I cooked a roast dinner. Tonight on the menu was a stuffed roast chicken, with a selection of fresh vegetables and roast potatoes. It goes without saying everyone enjoyed there dinner although we did miss Emily's banter at the table. For pudding Catherine made Lucy some banana custard which they both did a good job of finisheing before they went back to play until Lucy's bedtime.
Just before it was time for Lucy to go to bed Emily returned full of tales of her day. It sounded like she had a grand time. Her arrival was just in the nick of time and Lucy was so happy to see her. She was looking forward to Emily reading her a story and that is just what she did after Lucy had been through her bedtime ritual. With her kisses and cuddles Lucy drifted off to sleep and I went downstairs to the sounds of an excited Emily telling Catherine about the highs and lows of her day. Eventually it was even time for them to go to bed and the house fell quite and the day came to an end.
It was a odd day but it wasn't with out fun but all the same it just felt strange. I guess these sort days come along once in a while and there not much you can do about them. All you have to do go with the flow knowing tomorrow is another day. At least there was good thing although I woke early I did manage to get some sleep. Now that has to be a good thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment