Wednesday, 29 June 2011

End of the College Year

So we come to the end of another college year and things are not looking good for the colleges as a whole. There are falling student numbers, less funding from the government and in the case of some colleges financial problems left over from foolish promises about redevelopment from the previous government. This is not a good time to working be working in this sector. 


As you may know from the blog that I work in this sector and because of the way I work things aren't looking good for next year. I try and get all the hours I can but in order to have the contact with Lucy and because of the age of Emily and Catherine I currently work part time on at best sessional contracts. As we move from a period of austerity it is people that work like I do that will be hit hard.

It is with these thoughts that I end this college year with my main employer merging with another college in order to save themselves from going under. With the changes that have occurred already and the timing of the two colleges coming together every sessional member of staff has been left not knowing what is happening with there jobs. I'm just one of many in this position and I know we are all finding it hard to deal with. 

Even the year that has just ended for me has seen my hours reduce and I know that money has been short this year, but that is nothing compared to what could happen next year. So as my summer holidays start so does the task of finding work for the coming year. It is all so different from the time when I was able to work full time and I was getting interviews for every job I went for in the sector. Things are so different from what they were back then.

That aside, I have enjoyed my year as I always do. I have taught some great students and I hope I have motivated them to do better things. I believe that every student has ability and that they come first. I have always thought this. To me it is about making people matter  and it is that which makes a college successful even if it means bending a few rules along the way. I just hope they all do well with whatever they decide to do because they as people deserve it.

No comments: