Friday, 10 June 2011
Sunshine and Showers
It was one of the mix bag weather days when one moment the sun is out and the next it hiding behind some meaty clouds and as the day wore on those clouds decided drop there load upon the ground. It was also a busy day with lots of things to do in the morning and the early afternoon. However, for me it was a day I was looking forward to after the mess that was last Tuesday.
The morning started with the sound of Emily getting up and getting ready for school followed by the sound of the alarm. There was no pushing the snooze button today, there was lots to do. I got up just before Emily left and sat with Catherine while drinking my coffee as she ate the breakfast she had made chatting about the day. She was so looking forward to seeing Lucy and so was I. Eventually she had to leave for school.
We were off to Peterborough to a but a tyre for the car from a supplier that I have been using for quite a while. It turns out that that the whole Lucy not turning up incident was based around the fact one of the tires on the car was near legal limit. It seems someone, Lucy's mummy knows, while passing the car she reported back that the tyre was below the legal limit. It turned out that this is why she had kept her off from nursery so I couldn't pick her up. It wasn't until after I published last Tuesdays blog post I got an email explaining why she wasn't there.
Apparently I had been sent three texts about her not going in the car because of the tyre, which I was told I must have received in the emails that followed. The fact is I never did get those text messages. The phone has no charger leader as well as no credit. I can't even turn it on and haven't for ages. There just no charge left in battery. Anyway, the man at the tyre place basically said that it was near the limit but it did needed changing before it did many more miles. These were my thoughts when I saw it too. To me, my family's safety is paramount and always will be. I would hate it if anything happened to the children, and anyone knows me knows that. I just wish things hadn't got to this point. Anyway, with tyre done we headed back to Oakham to get little Lucy.
I was so pleased to see Lucy again. I know it has only been a week but I value my time with her so much. It was lovely and she was so pleased to see me. She didn't wait to be called. When she saw me she went up to the nursery worker, spoke to her and then walked as quick as she could without running to the open gate and then into my arms for a cuddle. It was a lovely moment that soon passed and was replaced with another. Hand in hand we chatted as we made our way back to the car and she told me she had some chocolate in her bag to share. It was something I never expected.
From nursery we headed off to Melton to get somethings from the shops there and pick up a prescription. It was a item they didn't have when when we had to go there on Sunday (There is no emergency chemist in Oakham). It also gave a chance to have a look around the shops. Although Lucy had something to eat as we drove she was still hungry when arrived so I popped into Wilkinsons with her. She picked what she wanted and I gave her the money to pay. I had to lift her up so she could pay. She felt so big paying herself. After we finished there went to the chemist before we browsed the shop windows. There where some lovely things to buy in the shops if you have the money.
Being in Melton it just seemed natural to go the Tesco's there rather than the one in Oakham while the engine was warm. Although it is meant to be bigger it actually has much less range than the one in Oakham which I have always found odd. All the same we managed to get what we wanted and some extra's that Lucy wanted for everyone. Things like bananas, some crisps for after school and sweets for her sisters. I think she liked the change, but it was a shame I didn't have the money for the rides outside the shop. I know how much she loves them.
When we got home and the shopping was put away and I got on playing with Lucy. We built a massive long train track together that stretched from one end of the family room to the other. Soon we were both playing together with the trains and some cars she had found in her toy boxes. It is fun just to play. I think there is a child in all of us and being able to let it out in a while is fun. We did this until Catherine got home from school. Lucy gave her a massive hug and Catherine was so pleased to see her again. She was so disappointed earlier in the week.
After Catherine was changed we headed out to the park, with Lucy's on her bike. The weather wasn't wonderful but it wasn't cold and the sun was out when we left after leaving a note for Emily. Lucy was funny on her bike peddling alone with me at her side and Catherine in front. Everytime the path got bumpy she would pick it up and carry it refusing all offers of help saying she was a big girl now. It just amazing how quickly they grow.
We were the only people in the park today. Normally there is someone else about but today we had the place to yourself. First the girls started playing on the swings after abandoning the bike at the slide. Lucy was holding onto the seat and pushing herself with her feet while Catharine was swinging in the swing next to her. As they left the swings Catherine pretended to trip over and play dead on the grass. I shouted to Lucy to tickle her and Lucy pounced on her and soon they were both in fits of giggles. They then both moved onto the area around the slide and played there until Lucy remembered the bike and wanted to go down to the bike ramp.
The ground was to bumpy to ride the bike to the bike ramp and she started carrying it herself until I offered to take over and this time she agreed. It was at this point Catherine suggested they have a race and of course Lucy won, with Catherine's help. When I arrived with the bike Lucy got on it and was soon riding along the edge of the ramp and trying to get up it too. It was quite amusing to watch a three year old attempting to be a BMX biker on a tricycle. She never go very far up the ramp but, boy was she willing to give it a go. Once we finished there we went off to the play house. Where Lucy surprised us both by climbing onto the higher seats all on her own, but there was one problem she hadn't thought of until she finished singing "I'm the king of the castle", how to get down. That were is Daddies come in handy. As the sun disappeared behind the clouds we moved back down to the slide.
It was as we got back to the slide end of the park that Emily appeared. When Lucy spotted her she ran at her and they both fell to the ground in a big hug. Soon they were all on the trim trail with Lucy showing Emily what she could do. Emily offered to help but Lucy was having none of it and said she could do it on her own. They must have played altogether in the park for another fifteen minutes as the cloud built up and the temperature started falling and we headed off for the church. As we walked I chatted to Emily and Lucy picked a few large daises giving one to each of her sisters and keeping one for herself. Soon they all had them in their hair and they all looked lovely.
Being at the church with all of them was wonderful. There was one moment when Emily was playing the piano while Lucy and Catherine played that was so special. It just felt like all was well with the world. It was like the church was meant to be alive and full of fun. It's hard to explain, but it was a special moment. It was like kids had being playing in the church for years and building liked it. I know in Christian eyes they are meant to be just places of worship, but how better to worship whatever you believe in than by just being full of joy. They had a grand time in the church and Lucy didn't want to leave but we had to in the end so I could get dinner cooked.
It was just as we were leaving the church that the rain started to fall. Well, rain is the wrong word really, it was the start of a hail storm. Quickly we tried to get back to the house walking undercover as much as we could. It was really cold when one of the hail stones went down your back, but thankfully they weren't failing hard enough to sting when they hit you. We never did make it back to the house, it just about to pour down and we just made it into the car for shelter and we stayed there until it stopped.
Once the storm had passed we went home and I cooked dinner while the girls played together in the family room until it was ready. It was just something simple tonight, sausages, beans and boiled new potatoes. All the same the girls loved and with full bellies they back to there games after dinner.
Eventually it was time for Lucy to go to bed and happily she trotted up the stairs, followed by Emily and Catherine. Soon she was changed and her sisters each read her a story and gave her a cuddle and a kiss goodnight. This just left her with one more story from me and her kisses from all she loves and cares for before she went off to sleep. When I got downstairs both Emily and Catherine were in the family room unwinding from the day before it was time for them to join her in their slumbers.
It has been a lovely day and I was so happy to see Lucy again. I just loved it in the park and the special moment in the church really was special. I just wish I could have shared it rather than just write about it. I just hope the weather improves. It feels like the summer hasn't really started and the promise of lovely weather in April has just made the weather are now experiencing disappointing. I want some nice sunny days with out the cold wind to that we can all just enjoy.
Finally to close on the events of Tuesday I still feel the fact I can only communicate by text to Lucy's mummy is not ideal. It wouldn't have taken much to leave a note for me, contacted me by email or even phoned if she was that worried. I never had this sort of problem with Emily and Catharine's Mum even when things were at there coolest. We just sorted it out by talking to each other. The one thing we didn't do was play thoughtless games. I guess one thing has come out of this we have contact by a third party, via email, so a situation like Tuesday's this shouldn't arise again, however it is far far less than perfect. I can't see how it will help in the long run. I would just like to feel involved in bring up me daughter.
I could go on, but lets hope we have drawn a line on what happened and hope this never happens again. It's not fair on Lucy or Emily and Catharine, let alone me. It just doesn't have to be like this, that is all I know!
No comments:
Post a Comment