Friday, 3 June 2011

Sunshine Returns for Now

What everyone wanted was the weather to change and that is what it did yesterday and the end of the day it looked like it was going to be a smashing day today. Thankfully the promise of the sunset materialized and day started off fine and warm. It was just what I needed after the cooler weather of late.


Thankfully I didn't have to get the bus into Oakham at ten, I managed to get the engine problem fixed on Wednesday although it did take all day to get the part, and with Emily and Catherine in with their mums in Leeds, albeit ten hours late. I managed a lay in until nine and it was lovely when I went outside to feel the warm sun on my face and see a perfect blue sky and it was a lovely drive to Oakham in the car.

Soon Lucy was with me, after an odd pickup, and we were heading straight back home. She just chatted away asking where everyone was. It was lovely to see her. It always seems longer between her visits when there is no work at all to fill the time, especially so if Emily and Catherine are away too. I guess you just get use to the routine of things, but what was nice today was having her with me for those extra few hours in the morning like i did when she was younger.



The morning with Lucy was mainly spent just playing out in the garden and inside the house. Along the way we tidy up the family room and made enough space to build a very long railway track to play with. What impressed me was she built most of it herself and then before we started to play all I needed to do was a few corrections and added a few additions, such as railway buildings. Outside the house she played mainly on her tricycle with me filling it with petrol, doing the tiers and fixing when it went wrong. We have played the same game with the tricycle so many times and every time she adds more into the game. There is always something new to fix.  

Before lunch we popped out to the supermarkets. Yes. I did say, supermarkets we went to both today. First we popped to Tescos to get the main shopping, but as I said they don't always have the range of the CoOp and we had to go there to pick up some bit and bobs the Tescos doesn't carry in it's stock range. We all had fun at both of them, especially Lucy who while sitting outside the CoOp was in fits of laughter. 


When we got home I made dinner with the food we had got at the supermarket. Just some sandwiches but they went down well and other than the crusts Lucy cleaned her plate. While I had a coffee, Lucy watched a little television before going back to play with her toys. It was the turn of her dolls this time and she was racing them around the house with them in their push chair. She did this until it was time to put the sun cream on and head out for the rest of the afternoon.

With the weather being then best we have had in ages we had to make the most of it, so I took Lucy out to the park. It was amazingly busy for a village park. Although there weren't any children about there were a lot of young adults enjoying the sun. There were one group in the corner just sitting and chatting on one of the picnic benches and a couple of girls down at the bottom of the park enjoying the sun. For once Lucy wasn't put off by the people and headed straight for the slide. Soon she was climbing up the steps and zooming down every way she could think of. All the time she was smiling. On the trim trial she is making real progress now. The wooden stepping blocks hold no fear and now she is going from one to another with confidence. I just watched thinking how well she was doing and encouraging her when she needed it.


The weather was so lovely and the park so peaceful, but ccasionally we had to seek some shade to cool down and there was no better place the little house at the end of the park. While we were there we chatted, as much as you can with a three year old. We talked about her dreams and wishes. It was nice to know what she thinks of things and what she wants in life. They are really so simple and what we would all want in an idea world, but this world, however, is far from ideal and her dreams will always be dreams when they shouldn't be.

On the way home Lucy said she wanted to pop to the church, which was fine by me. I really do like it there even if I never go to church as such. It just such a lovely building and the fact that is it is always open makes it so accessible. There is loads of history there, and I showed her the a picture of the person that lived in our house that died in the great war. She seemed interested enough to stop and look before making her way to the piano which she played before rearranging all the prayer cushions. I glad she loves the curch and I know it is one place that I find is always restful. 


When we got home it was time for me to cook again and Lucy went back to playing in the family room. This didn't mean I didn't see her, she kept popping in to see what was going on and if there was anything she could do to help or pinch to eat. I always like the way she knows that a roast chicken has come out of the oven. It is like a second sense and she appears just in time for a bit of skin, but it was just something plain tonight and she will have to wait until she is here for a weekend to do that. 

Soon dinner was cooked and all eaten. Lucy had cleared her plate. She must have be hungry after her time at the park. As I drank my coffee we played before I finally had to get her ready to leave. It is the part I hate more than anything that her little life is like this.

As both headed back to Oakham in the car we chatted and we arrived all to soon. It was lovely when we arrived to see Lucy's smiling sister at the window. Gosh she is growing now. I haven't seen her for a while. Lucy was pleased to see her and gave her the pine cone she had found while we were out, before the door was opened and in she trotted, after a kiss and a big cuddle of course. Then all I was left with was the drive home to a childless house and the happy memories of the day.

There is something special when I spend anytime with any of my lovely daughters on there own. This day was no different. The problems of the present just sank away and I enjoyed it. It was lovely to know what she wanted and I wish things were different for her, but it was good to hear her talk about them and have the time to listen. All my children are special to me and always will be. I just can't wait see her again and next time she will have her sisters to play with again too. Fun times.

No comments: