Wednesday, 4 April 2012
Cold Wednesday
The weather was less like spring and more like winter when I got up. The rain that was falling was cold and the wind keen. It just felt like we had gone back to the weather of a few months ago. Thankfully the snow had stayed away for the people going to work, although I'm sure the girls wouldn't have minded too much if an inch had fallen to play in.
When I got up I found Lucy in her bedroom sitting up looking at some books she got off her shelf. She just gave me a massive smile and we collected her things and headed downstairs. Instead of watching television this morning she decided she wanted to play games on the computer. So on went the computer and she played on the CBeebies as she drank her drink and woke up.
Soon she was joined by Catherine, who had a quick breakfast before heading in to town to meet up with friends. Lucy, however had been promised something else for breakfast and that had to wait until Emily got up. As soon as Emily got up she got on with making pancakes, with Lucy's help and direction at times. Soon Lucy was at the table and eating the fruits of Emily's labours covered in lemon juice and sugar. She was eating them as fast as Emily could cook them. I was just amazed that Emily got to eat any of them, but in the end she managed to get a few for herself.
Lucy spent the morning, after breakfast in the living room with me, while Emily went to her room to relax, read and being a teenager texted on her phone. We did all kinds of things from cooking games, baby games, tickling games, watching video clips on the computer and playing on the CBeebies website. The main thing was we were having fun and that all that mattered. As we played I managed to fit in doing the washing, with Lucy's help, and this included all of Lucy's bedding which she helped me strip off the bed, So in the end the morning was both productive and fun.
Just after midday I made lunch for everyone. Just sandwiches but they went down well and Lucy and Emily had pudding to finish it all off. Lucy had heres at the table watching a Peppa Pig DVD on the computer. She has now worked out how to put the disk in and navigate the menu's. The only problem she encountered was a fingerprint she manage to put on the disc that stopped it playing. I must say it shows how good the interface on the applications and operating systems of a old Mac Mini is that a four year old can the basics worked it out
With lunch out of the way we got on with afternoon. It started as the morning had finished with Lucy playing with me while Emily returned to her room. This all changed mid afternoon when Catherine returned home. She was instantly rushed by Lucy. She would have given her a massive hug if Catherine hadn't stopped her. Catherine was rather wet from being out in the rain. So instead she followed her upstairs to her bedroom. I didn't see her until it was just before we started the rush. She ended up with Catherine and Emily on Catherine's bed watching videos on Emily's phone together.
The rush started in the last hour before we left for the city. Emily ran and started off the bath, I bathed her and Catherine was roped in to do the hair dying today. It wasn't long she was as clean as a nine pin, with her hair conditioned, dry and shinny. She looked a picture and there was still some time left to play and before she had to say her goodbyes. In the end she even helped me remake her bed.
Soon we were in the car heading back to the city in the cold and rain. It was amazing the how the streams that we crossed and passed on the way were swollen with the rain that had fallen. I guess after all the dry weather of late the water was just running off the dry ground and into the streams. It was pretty impressive how fast they were flowing. Along the way Lucy fell asleep and just before we arrived at her mummy's I had to wake her. I was sad to see her go and gave her a massive cuddle and kiss before I went to drop her off. I love her so much I miss when I she has gone. All the same I was glad to get out of the oppressive city streets and back into the countryside today.
When I arrived home it was off to get some dinner. The only menu item I failed to cook was tonights dinner. When we were in the supermarket, the other day, there was no nice stewing beef and so that went out of the window. Instead we had a treat and brought home some sausages and chips from the fish shop in Oakham. It was yummy and it was nice not to have to cook.
Evening for the girls was spent relaxing and watching television in the family room, until it became time to watch The Apprentice which Emily loves too. It was a cracking examples of how egos can go wrong. I did wonder with all the technology in the phones they had why they didn't bother to look up a recipe or two. There are chutney and pickle recipes all over the net, including copies of Pan Yan Pickle whose recipe was lost in a fire in 2004. One of the finest pickles in the UK.
As soon as The Apprentice fished the girls head off to bed. We all have a busy and early start in the morning. Emily and Catherine are off to see their mum.
I really have enjoyed having Lucy here for five sleeps as she calls them. We have all had a great time and it been really nice to have the girls together for so long a period again. I love them all dearly and more have them all under the same roof is a dream come true. It what I wanted for them, to be together, after Lucy was meant to bring two families together, not live in two different families.
The sad thing was her time with us all came to end, and that left me with a feeling of loss. You would think I would be use to it, but that hasn't happen. That feeling of loss will exist to the next time I see her. I won't even get to hear her voice. Over recent years I have learnt it is so hard to be cut out of the life of someone you love. It is not something that goes away.


2 comments:
So glad you managed to get Lucy for so long. Sounds like you al had a great time.
About time after what happened last half term and over Christmas. That was a disgrace.
Post a Comment