Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Film - Moulin Rouge

Continuing the film that started with Artist of the Week I thought I would continue the theme in films with great scores or which make wonderful use of music. The first of two films I want to cover is Moulin Rouge.


This particular clip shows all the artistry and genius of the director Baz Luhrmann who combines the skill of film making and theatrical direction with such skill. He takes the vision, style and artistry of the theatre and combines that with freedom of film to create the most spectacular and memorable works. In the clip you have the narrative threads linked by a three songs, performed by different actors as they travel though their individual stories interlinking the main plot of the film. This is then punctuated by the dancing and the strong beat of the song making the whole piece a audio and visual feast. This type of scene is the hallmark of Baz Luhrmann.

I can't do more than highly recommend this film to you even if it isn't the sort of film you would watch normally. Forget the story line and just immerse  yourself in the visual and audio splendour that is Moulin Rouge and take yourself back in history to the hight of Fin de siècle Paris.

Finally there is something strange about this film. Ever copy I have brought or owed have either been taken or borrowed by other people. I don't what it is about but they all want to own it and for some reason they end up owning my copy. I think I will keep the current copy I have under lock and key.

No comments: