Tuesday, 1 March 2011
Signs of Spring
It was lovely to see the first signs that spring is just around the corner. We I went out into the garden first thing I notice that one of the budding daffodils had in fact budded over night. Soon the village will be covered in daffodils especially the church yard that had an amazing display last year. It was just a shame that the warm spring sunshine wasn't just to complete the picture, it was cold and damp as it had been the day before.
With Emily at home for a few days while they move everything from her old school to the new school there was only Catherine to get off to school this morning. Out of the two of them she is the easiest, she is always up on time and ready to go with time to spare, unlike Emily who seems to take an age to get ready. With Catherine gone there was little to do this morning other than work, although in the end that came to nothing for a number of reasons. All the same it was nice to have Emily around the house this morning trying to make everyone smile like she does.
Just before noon, Emily and myself headed into Oakham to pick up Lucy from nursery. It was the first time I had been their with one of her sisters so I wondered how Lucy would react and I was surprised when she went all shy. She just ran up to me as normal and gave me a big hug and when Emily talked to her she hide herself in my shoulder. Emily wasn't one to give up and carried on chatting to her an eventually got her to talk. This all changed as soon as we got outside and as we headed to the car she was holding Emily's hand and they were talking away as normal.
Soon we set off to the post office at Cottesmore via the recycling site to drop off a could of bags of excess rubbish that had been cleaned out of the bedrooms and the family rooms in the big tidy up. Once this was out the way it was back to Oakham to the supermarket to get some food for lunch and dinner. Still not having a fully working fridge is still being a pain but I guess it means we always have fresh food and there is little wastage. Emily and Lucy had a grand time shopping together and even managed to get some extra sweets out of me along the way. Not a easy thing to do these days, given the budget we live on.
When we got home I got straight on with cooking lunch. It was everyone favourite bacon rolls, some with mushrooms and others with eggs. There is nothing better for making the house smell lovely and get those hunger buds going. Everyone loved their lunch, although Emily is really growing fast now and even after two rolls was looking for more food within an hour. It is amazing how much they can eat when they are growing.
A lot of the afternoon, that was left before Catherine came home, saw Emily and Lucy either watching television or playing together. Emily kept commenting on the programmes on the programmes she use to watch at when she was the same age as Lucy. They had a great time together. At one point they both disappeared upstairs and when I went up I found them both playing with the people from Lucy's dollhouse. They were playing doctors, with Lucy being the doctor and Emily pretending to be the patients. I think Emily loved it because it brought out Emily natural ability to act and that made it fun. It was lovely to see.
When Catherine came home Lucy was delighted to see her. The girls hadn't been together for a while and I know Catherine misses Lucy. Catherine soon took over the role of playing with Lucy from Emily and they played together until dinner, while Emily went off to chat with her friends on Facebook in her bedroom on the netbook and let them get on with it. It worked really well. Lucy got to spend some quality time with the both of them.
After dinner Lucy need a rest from the play and settled to watch a DVD on the computer and it she was so enjoying it, that it was hard to drag her away to get her ready to go back to Oakham. As we left I took a picture of Lucy and when I saw it on he camera I was reminded of her sister Mary, sometimes the two of them look so alike and then at other times she reminds me of Emily. It so strange, poor Catherine doesn't get much of a look in the look like side of things.
All too soon I was in Oakham with Lucy. We had chatted all the way there as usual. I picked Lucy up and she knocked on the door. Normally it opens quickly and she is gone, but for some reason today it took a while. It was rather nice though because not only did I get one kiss and hug I got lots and as the door open she told me she loved me and gave me one extra big hug, and off she went inside and I said good bye to her mummy. It was a lovely way to end my day with her.
It been a lovely day with everyone and I just hope those signs of spring mean that some lovely weather is around the corner. It will be great to get out and about again and visit the parks and playgrounds and give the girls some space to play in. Not long to my weekend with them all and I always look forward to that.
No comments:
Post a Comment