Saturday, 26 March 2011

Afternoon with Lucy

What was meant to be an extra day with Lucy before her holiday turned out to be just an afternoon. Her mummy was going on a full day course and I rearranged the day to see Lucy. It was just before eight in the morning I got a text saying that she needed to go the doctors about her cough, which was getting worse, something I was thinking myself yesterday. In the end a poorly Lucy ended up at the hospital. Thankfully it just seems like it is just an infection she can't fight herself. She has been given something for it and she still has her inhaler. By the time I picked her up to bring her home the morning had all but gone.


All the same it was lovely to see her. It is easy to get over concerned when you don't see your children and you know they are unwell. You never really know what they are like or how they are doing. It is just one big mystery. Yesterday when she said she was waking in the night it helped me understand why she was so tired. I just wish I had known. I know there is nothing I can do about it but not knowing is worse if you know they are not alright, especially when something been going on for so long and the condition is getting worse. You care for them and I guess with me bring up two children mainly on my own already I can tend to be more protective than many fathers that haven't brought up children themselves. You feel so left out when all you want to do is look after them and bring them up. All I can do is the best I can under the circumstances and that is what I will continue to do.

Anyway, it was nice to see her again and to be able to see how she is. When we got home she helped me clean the bathroom before she found the "Magic Roundabout" DVD she had been watching last weekend with Catherine. She wanted to watch that again. So I put it on for her and she snuggled up and watched while I got on with cooking some lunch. As a special treat I even let her watch it while she ate her lunch. 


After lunch she started to flag a bit. She came and climbed on me and snuggled herself down. When I asked if she was tired she just nodded and so I went on to find out why. It appears she hadn't slept well the night before. She had woken in the night and she was sick again from the coughing. It was no wonder her mummy had taken her to the Doctors. Soon she drift off to sleep for a few minutes while I stroked her back. It was all rather sweet and lovely. 

Unfortunately I had to wake her, there was some essential shopping to be done and there was no way out of getting out of it and waiting to later. She didn't seem to bothered about being woken but when she got in the car and by the time we left the village she was asleep again. Once again she missed all the shopping being asleep the whole time but within half an hour of leaving we were home again and I had to wake her up. It was funny when she asked if were still going to the shops and I had to explain we had already been.


When we were back home and she settled down to watch to Peppa Pig on the television and generally play on her bike and on her car. After her sleep she had picked up a lot, but still at times she would rest and take a little time out to watch television and give out loads of cuddles. It was really nice when told her about her spending money and how nicely she said thank you before giving me a big cuddle. It was the least I could do for her and it is what I have done in the past when Emily and Catherine have gone away with their mum.

Just before we left Lucy needed her inhaler, the coughing had got worse as the afternoon had gone on. When she went her bag she pulled out a home made card. I'm not sure who made it or if Lucy had a hand in it but it was lovely. Lucy wanted to keep it so I put it back into bag to take back with her. I guess it will remain a mystery why it was in the bag, although I wish in someways I got to keep it. After the inhaler, which she is really good at, we headed back into Oakham via the cash point where I got some money to put in a envelope for her holiday spending money. I hope she manages to have fun in the shops buying things and has a great time, despite her illness. She going on an activity holiday so I hope it doesn't stop her doing things. 

The next time I see Lucy is next weekend. She is coming to stay Saturday night, although when her mummy asked if she could wake up with her on Mothers Day, next Sunday, I was in full agreement and all I needed was the times I could see her on the day before. This all changed and I was left confused as to why when I was willing to change arranged plans to fit in with what is a special day, I ended up feeling like I was doing something wrong. But at the end of the day that is unimportant. The person that is important is Lucy she doesn't deserve the mess that has been created around her. I just hope she has a nice week away.

No comments: