Friday, 18 March 2011

Spring Sunshine

It was one of those days that started out grey and got better and better in every way and it wasn't just the weather that made feel that way. By the end of the day the house was bathed in beautiful spring sunshine. The beginning was a complete contrast from the end of the day.


The morning started as much as any morning seems to. Emily and Catherine had breakfast and with packed lunches made they both headed to school. The only thing that was different about the start of the morning was a number of texts about Lucy who was still poorly from whatever illness she had on Tuesday. This in the end turned out to be what sounds like a viral infection in her airways and she is going to need to use an inhaler at night until her body fights it off.I just hope it all goes away for her soon.

It was a disappointing morning. I haven't had much sleep lately and I fell asleep in the chair. When I did wake it just wasn't too what I expected of the day. Things were just not right with the world for one reason or another, but I was determined that wasn't going to ruin the day no matter what. It is my day off from work and I just wanted it to be good.


All the times of picking up Lucy had to be rearranged because she wasn't at nursery and she had to go to the Doctors. So instead of picking her up from nursery I picked her up from her mummies house in Oakham and I was given a quick demonstration of how to use the inhaler before we left for there for home. I was so glad to see her and know she was alright and on the way home she was showing me the present she had for the party she is going to tomorrow.

When we got home Lucy got a big welcome from George who was out running around in the garden. Once inside she headed off to find the computer to watch the rest of the film she was watching when she was here on Tuesday.  The timing of all this was spot on because it allowed us to do the things we needed to do before we headed out to the shops to get the things we needed for coming day.


It was lovely out but shopping just to too long to make use of the sunshine and by the time we got back to the village the temperature had drop and there was a chill in the air. Not wanting to risk Lucy's bad chest in the cold, we decided she would be better off inside until we had a real handle on how she is. Given the forecast for tomorrow I don't think she will be missing out on the park over the weekend.

Soon it was time for Emily and Catherine to come home from school and when they did make it through the door they got a royal Lucy welcome before they all went off to play together. Thankfully Lucy's chest didn't seem to be bothering her too much. Their was some coughing but it wasn't too bad, Nowhere near the time when she coughed so much she was sick. This nicely took them up to dinner time.


After dinner Lucy had a go at her new inhaler. I was amazed how easily she used it. I thought she might not like using it but she was fine with it. I also gave her a spoon of calpol because she was getting hot to touch. It is like as she gets tired the infection takes hold. All the same she was soon playing in her large box and pretending to be a jack in the box. She was having great fun with it and so was I. I even managed to snap a lovely picture of her as she popped out the box.

Soon it was time for her to go to bed and she was all snuggled up with stories read, cuddles and kisses from everyone special and spoon full of cough medicine to get her through the night. Emily meanwhile had taken to her room with the phone and the netbook and she was talking about boys with Charlie and trying to get her a date. While Catherine stayed in the family room and went onto the computer there to talk her friends before bedtime and play some games. 

Since Lucy came back home it been a super day. I have really had fun with everyone and I can't wait until tomorrow. The weather forecast is set fine and it should be a lovely day. I know Lucy is excited as she has a party at lunchtime.

Finally, A thought for the end of the day. Maya Angelou, who is considered one of the most renowned and influential voices of our time once said, "I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.". It really is a wonderful thought about life and it something we all know deep down is true if we think about it. If you know the mistakes you have made and you forgive yourself for them and others you have made them and you are sorry for what you have done then you can grow and learn. If you bury the past or change the past in order to hide things away then you learn nothing from it. It is no good thinking to past will go away it remains with us and shapes the future.  

No comments: