Sunday, 6 March 2011

Late Sunshine

It was a grey dull start to the day, even though over night it had been clear. I spend all morning hoping for the sun to break through the clouds so I could take Lucy, Catherine and Emily out to the park and when it did it was just too late to do anything with. By the time it warmed up Lucy was heading with me back to Oakham.


Lucy was first up as always but at least she laid in for a little while. It was gone eight when she woke me up. Together we went downstairs and I put the television on in the living room while I gather all the things that I had to wash before she went back to Oakham. I like to make sure she is as clean when she goes home. So I make sure all her clothes are clean on and her blanket is washed and fresh for when she gets back to her mummies.

With the washing on it was back into the living room. There I found Lucy sitting on my seat with her old spotty blanket watching television, so I sat down beside her and enjoyed a cuddle and my cup off coffee, until Lucy asked for some breakfast. With Breakfast made and eaten Lucy went off into the family room to play for a while, making a mess of a once clean room, but I guess that is what family rooms are for and it can be cleaned up.


A little over an hour after Lucy got up we heard movement in Emily and Catherine's room. This was quickly followed by some talking and giggling. They were both wide awake. Lucy went up to investigate and found them both on the Emily's top bunk. As she can't get up on her own she shouted down to me and I put her on the bunk with the other two girls. They had a whale of a time up there playing altogether and just laying around and watching stuff on the little portable computer.

After they exhausted the possibilities of playing in the bed they all headed down to the stairs and went off into the family room to play until lunchtime. All I could hear was them having fun as I finished off the washing and put on the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen up a bit. Now and again Lucy would come to see where I was and offer to help, but she is just that bit young to be cleaning kitchens yet, unfortunately.


Lunch was a simple affair today, as I had decided to do the main meal in the evening. It gives me a little extra time with all the girls. It also makes makes getting the timing for getting Lucy back a little bit easier without having to worry that I get the timing spot on. With lunch out of the way there was a couple of hours left to play, and although the sun had made an appearance it was still too cold to really go down to the park so the we all stayed at home. Once again the promise in the earlier weather forecast had failed to arrive on time. All the same we had fun until it was time for Lucy to go back to Oakham.

I was a lot sadder after dropping off Lucy than normal. I don't know why. Something just made me feel that way today. It always takes me time to get over losing her again, but today it was different and I don't know why. Even the checkout girl on the supermarket asked if I was alright. Somethings, I guess, never go away, but we can normally control how we feel. It is not like I did anything different. I chatted happily with Lucy on the way back, the drop off was alright, but something changed my mood. I just can't put my finger on it, but it was deep.


When I got home the house was quiet, which really didn't help the mood. Emily was upstairs and Catherine was out looking for her friends to see if they were out and about in the village. Eventually Emily went round to see Charlie while Catherine, taking advantage of the situation decided to have some alone time in her bedroom. I know it is always quiet without Lucy when she goes on a Sunday but today it was deathly quiet. You could even hear the church bells clearly as they rang for evening song.

Eventually I settled down to work and Emily and Catherine did there own thing. Sundays after Lucy has gone tend to be a busy time for me with marking and preparation to be done for later in the week. While I did this I got on with cooking everyone a chicken dinner, which went down well as normal, despite the fact I think we are all getting fed up of chicken. Thankfully working took my mind off things in general and my mood and soon it was time for bed for Emily and Catherine and the day was almost done. 

It was a lovely start to the day but yet a strange end. I'm really not sure what to make of it all or what it all means. I guess it is just one of those days that come along now and again. All I know is whatever changed my mood was a deep feeling, something deep inside, if that makes sense. Oh well tomorrow is another day...

No comments: