Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Putnam Aviation Series

It has been a long time since I have had a post on books I have been reading or just books I pop into now again. One series of books in particular falls into the later category is the Putnam Aviation Series of books that are sadly no longer in print. 


I brought my first Putnam book, "Miles Aircraft since 1925", many many years ago and I really haven't lost my love in the series since then. It was the perfect book to introduce me to the series. It was light hearted and personal account of a company, the writer being a designer at the company and a personal friend of the owner as well as being highly technical at all the right moments. 

Since then I have slowly built up my collection of aviation books in the series. Currently I have ten books and the last one "Gloster Aircraft since 1917" I got was a present.  I'm always on the lookout for more of these books when I go around old books shops. You never know when you might pick up a bargain and I hope one day I might complete my collection of books from this once great publisher of aviation history. They are the idea books to read about what once made this country so great. 

3 comments:

Michael said...

I know what you mean - love those Putnam books.

http://www.theaviationindex.com is quite a good website for finding all sorts of aviation books and magazines - Even just lookng at the covers on there brings back memories !

Roy said...

They are wonderful books and I will never tire of dipping into the. Thank you for the comment and the link. It is kind of you.

T,G.McGrath said...

I love them too. I have got 29 plus lots of autobiographies by pilots and also big books about different types. Even got a Janes for 1942. If you live near Hertfordshire you might be interested in seeing them Tom McGrath