Monday, 25 April 2011

Artist if the Week - Jessie J

I listen to a lot of Capital Radio in the car these days when I'm not listening to CD's especially on shorter journeys. There is one artist that you can't get away from and she is my artist of the week. She is Jessie J who has really hit the big time in the UK.


It is hard not hear Jessie J at the moment. She is getting massive air play on all the popular radio stations. Even little Lucy can sing along with her songs and knows the words to the choruses. I just love the raw energy of songs and performances and there is something refreshing about her I like.


Jessie J was originally from Redbridge, London and attended the Colins Performing Arts and at the age of eleven appeared in the West End production of Whistle Down the Wind. At the age of 16 she began studying at the BRIT School and a year later joined the girl group "Soul Deep". Eventually she signed her first record deal in 2005, but unfortunately the label went bust before any of the tracks were released. Not put off, she continued to write songs for other singers and started supporting some of them on tour. Eventually she finished the album she had started 6 years earlier and last year released her first single, "Do It Like a Dude", which was well received by the music press and charted at number two. The was followed by her second single, "Price Tag", that shot to number one. Her latest single "Nobody's Perfect" was released just 5 days ago and is on it's way up the charts. Meanwhile Jessie J has been in the States trying to get noticed by ever means possible including buskin.


I hope you like this weeks Artist of the Week even if she is a bit different from the normal artists I pick. There is a great variety of music out there to listen too and none of them can be ignored. Without the variety of music we hear music would be bland and boring and it takes artists like Jessie to mix things up a bit. Happy listening until next week.

No comments: