Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Comfortably Numb

There are times when you hear or watch something that makes your whole body tingle, it can be the same when you meet someone special or there just something magical about a moment. I had one of those moments last night. It took me completely by surprise because it was something I had already seen, watched and listened too many times in the past. It was just a piece of music but it was magical and had the power to connect and move me.


I was talking to Emily and she was listing the bands she liked and she mentioned Pink Floyd to my surprise. Knowing what she does listen too it just seemed odd until she explained "just because a band is old doesn't mean it isn't good". I thought it was a very grown up view of music.

When I think of Pink Floyd I'm always reminded of the incredible set they did for "Live 8". So I found it for her the last song in the set "Comfortably Numb" on YouTube. I just remember how they blew away the younger bands with some of the most amazing live music I have ever seen or heard. The performance will always be with me, but I didn't expect it to move me so much that my whole being could connect to it even now by just watching it again. It was like someone had plugged me into the mains. My whole body just tingled.

Moments like these can be very personal but sometimes they can be joint experience. This was my moment watching something I had heard before. Maybe triggered by the memory of the past, but when you look at the crowd on the video you can see lots of them having the same sort of experience. Many of them were even to young ever to have seen them live. I remember at the time writing something on the BBC site about it, but that is now lost. They were the most emotive words as they were written in the moment, however I find one of the things I wrote five years ago after the concert had finished on another site.

Pink Floyd were great! I agree about the shivers up the spine. It was incredible to see them together. You wouldn't have guess they hadn't played together since 1984, and when they started playing it was electric and the chemistry was fantastic. I was just so glad they had a group hug at the end. Bands that plays as well live as they do in the recording studio will always have my respect!

That was amazing set, an amazing concert and I hope it something that gets repeated again for such a good cause. It is easy when we don't have any money to forget that others have even less and as Governments cut back on overseas aid maybe they now need a reminder. It's amazing even now how just one set can send shivers up you spine. Thanks Em's.

No comments: