Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Breezy Tuesday

Well the weather forecast was certainly spot on and we had the breezy day that was promised. It was just a shame there wasn't a little more sun around to brighten the day and take the edge off the chill of the wind, but at least the rain stayed away. With it being a Tuesday Lucy was meant to be coming to stay, but with her recent health and everything else I didn't know what was going to happen until it did.


The morning was much as usual. Emily is now getting herself up and out in the morning so I get up just before she leaves to lock the door after her. Catherine doing much the same these days to. It is amazing how independent they are starting to become. I'm more there to act as support rather than having to do much in the mornings since Emily started going to Charlie's. I really grateful to Charles's mum, as starting the car up for such a short trip was costing a fortune and she just drops them off on her way to work. 

The morning was nice and quiet and peaceful. While I was having a coffee or two I had a think about things of the last few days and tried to workout out my feelings about what is going on. My opinion was unchanged. Their might be little do about Lucy leaving Rutland but I am sure I don't want her moving to a city even if I can't do anything about it. There are no real avenues of communication and like a lot of decisions regarding Lucy it feels forced upon me and my opinion is worthless and has no value. I really don't want Lucy to grow up in a suburbs of city. I just hope she gets to return to Rutland. It is such a lovely place to live.

Eventually I managed to settled down and did a little preparation for work tomorrow and take my mind off things. Mainly for some notes to supplement meant a general talk on system testing I had dreamed up. System testing is the new unit the students are starting this week. Anyway, that took me nicely up to just before noon when it was time to head out and pick up Lucy from nursery. 


It's only a short drive and a pleasant one down the road to Burley and over the railway crossing before turn right towards Oakham. The road passes part of the old canal that is now a used a fishing lake. As I pass it I keep thinking how wonderful it would be if the canal could be fully opened again. The idea of canal going into Oakham is rather lovely.  


Soon the short drive was over and I walked down the road and into the nursery. Once inside, Lucy quickly spotted me and came running up to the gate and she was soon in my arms giving me a cuddle. It was lovely to see her gain and as we walked back to the car and drove back home via the garage. She just talked and talked and talked. I love some of the things she say's and the questions she asks. She is really growing up fast now.

When we got home we were greeted my a George who was poking his nose through the gate and wagging his tail at our arrival. He is such a funny dog at times as well as being incredibly stubborn and always wanting to do his own thing, which often involves chasing around the garden like a mad thing. He is always pleased to see Lucy and she is always pleased to see him.



Once inside I got some pens and paper out for Lucy. Soon she was asking peoples names and pretending to write. I could hear them both laughing as I got the lunch ready. As soon as Lunch was over I did some drawing with her before heading into the family room with her to play. I have meaning to do some drawing with her for ages but I never had any paper until now. So hopefully we will be able to do a lot more of that over the weeks to come.

After while I decided it would be a good idea to go for a walk. The park was out given the weather but knowing how much Lucy loves messing around in the church that seemed like a good place to go. So once we were all dressed we head out, walking down the road hand in hand. I decided George had better stay at home although Lucy wanted to take him with us. I'm not sure he would like being tied up outside the church. He is not the sort of dog to just sit and wait at the moment.

The outside of the church is beautiful this time of year. It is really lovely. The trees are in bloom and the flowing daffodils have now be joined by the red tulips. Together they make the whole church yard come alive with their vibrant colours against the green grass and cold grey of the of the church itself. It really is a sight that makes you feel good to be alive.



Once inside, Lucy started looking around and I read a lovely comment from someone that lived in Langham as a child who thanked all the people that made the church and the church yard one of the most lovely churches they have ever been too. I must admit I feel the same way too. There is something special and lovely about the church. It is just so peaceful and timeless.

Anyway, I getting off track. Soon we were playing vicars, first I was the vicar in the pulpit while Lucy was the congregation and then it was her turn to be the vicar. She is far too small to see over the edge of the pulpit and it made me smile to see her peeping trough the holes to talk to me. Soon she found the piano and we messed about with that for a while. I can play one handed and played some tunes I though she might know as she hit the other keys around the ones I was playing. It really make a mess of the tunes I was playing but it didn't matter as long as she had fun. Finally, we had loads of fun with all the seats and we ended up at the back of the church looking behind the curtain to find the bells. The one thing that seemed to fascinate her was the priest hole that is hidden behind a door. We had to look at that again and again before finally heading home to wait for Catherine to get home from school.

We didn't have to wait long our timing was almost perfect. I had just put the kettle on and made a coffee and got a milk for Lucy and Catherine came in through the door. Seeing that Lucy had been drawing she soon wanted some paper to do some of her own. After getting change she joined Lucy on the carpet and they were soon happily drawing together. Catherine is a little artist and she is far better than Emily who is 18 months or so older. She been like that since she was small. I will always remember sitting with her in school when she draw a lovely picture of her family just before she was sick all over it. Bless her, she was about 4 and had a tummy bug and that is why I had stayed with her. It was such a shame as it was a wonderful picture that would have looked great on the kitchen wall.


They had been drawing for about half an hour when Emily arrived home from school via Charlie's house. Emily got a lovely welcome from Lucy. She really looks up to her biggest sister. As soon as she heard the door good she shout "Emily" and rushed off to greet her before following her upstairs while Emily got changed. We didn't see them for a while as they played together upstairs. Catherine gave up waiting in the end and went up to join them. 

Soon I was calling them all down to dinner which they all ate at the table chatting away. I like the way they all get on and the way Emily and Catherine encourage Lucy to eat her dinner. Lucy is a lunch time girl and I find she eats slightly less at dinner time so having them help out is great.

After dinner they all returned upstairs with Emily going into Lucy's room to play with her dolls house. I followed them into the room to give it a bit of a tidy and make her bed for the next time she comes to stay. The hovering will have to wait to later as Lucy still seems to dislike it enough to run away into another room. Catherine meanwhile was busy in her bedroom playing on the computer and chatting to friends. Soon I was roped into Emily and Lucy's game before getting her ready to return to Oakham.

With Lucy gone Emily and Catherine seemed to disappear. Catherine carried on chatting to her friends after I helped her with her homework and Emily went on the computer I put in Lucy's room so she could have some space from her sister. This took them more or less up to bedtime when their day came to an end and the house fell quiet.

After all that has been going on, it was great to see Lucy and I had so much fun with her. I can't wait until I see her again and now the weather is getting better we can have so much more fun out of the house. The village is just lovely this time of year.

No comments: