Saturday, 16 April 2011

A Surprise Delivery

It was lovely to be woken by Lucy calling my name. As soon as I entered the room she told me the sun was shining and her face full of smiles. I can't think of a better way to be woken with the optimism and expectations only a small child can have of the world. It was just lovely. I just hoped I could make the day live up to her dreams in some little way.


It didn't take us much time to gather her things and take them downstairs and soon she was sat in the chair near the radiator in the living room. I put the television on for her while I made us both a drink and soon we were watching Cbeebies together while we both woke up. It wasn't long before she was asking me for breakfast. I made her a bowl of cereal which she ate before presenting me with a clean bowl when she finished. She really is getting good at eating her food now.

The morning was spent playing around the house and outside to in the sunshine. It really was a lovely morning. More than you could really ask for a day in mid April. It was super outside in the spring sunshine. Something I was really looking forward too was making the most of the warm weather in the afternoon. I had a lovely time playing with her before we headed out to the shops to get some food  for lunch and dinner later in the day.


Lunch was a simple affair. Just some sandwiches, nothing more and nothing less but everyone enjoyed them. It is a big waste making them as we can't keep the butter for very long but we have all missed them so much it is worth the waste once in a while. Lucy once again ate all her sandwiches which I cut in to little triangles for her. I love her chatter at the table. She makes me smile.

With lunch out of the way, a bit play and after a cup of coffee we headed out into the countryside. Being spring there was just one place to go, Northfied Farm. It is a wonderful place and sells some of the finest meats I have ever tasted. I once had a pork joint from the farm and it really was the best pork I have ever tasted. Not cheap but worth it if you have the spare pennies. It's not far away and Lucy loves it there but what we didn't expect what happened when we got there.


When arrived we headed towards the pigs pens as normal. Nothing usual about that but what we found was. There was a small piglet stuck in the water trough, I thought nothing of it other than if it got in it would get out. In any case the farmer would be checking on what seemed very young piglets. In the end we had to get help for the poor piglet as there seemed to be nobody about. I headed to the farm shop thinking at least there will be someone there. The butcher there phoned one of the farmers and it turned out the piglets were very young. Less than an hour old. The farmer didn't even know the mummy pig had given birth at all.

When the farmer arrived he rescued the poor piglet. At that point there were five piglets in total. Within minutes they were joined by the sixth piglet. She was giving birth as we watched. It was an amazing sight. This was followed by another two, making the total eight. The last one of the pair born was the runt and if it wasn't for the quick action of the farmer it would have died. It didn't have the energy to clear its own air ways. It became quiet an event in the end and the owner of the farm turned up as well as everyone else on the farm to watch.


Unfortunately, Lucy and I had to leave the mummy pig although she seemed to find it all exciting. I just needed a break from lifting her up. Thankfully there is a lot more to do there and having a walk around the farm yard gave my arms a rest. First there was the baby lambs that had been taken away from their mum's for various reasons. They were so cute and as we approached the they called to us wanting food. They were soft and fluffy and Lucy just loved them. While we were their someone did come to feed them. In the end he had to stay with them to stop the brown pig in the pen next to them from stealing their milk. Then of course there are the toys and the activities in the courtyard that Lucy loves to play with. It was all rather fun for both of us. I just wish I had the spare money to take her to the tea rooms again.

Before we left we went back to see the piglets and the ninth one had just been born. Nobody knew how many she would have and the farmer seemed to be expecting more but didn't know how long it would take for the others to appear. Nature I guess has it's own clock and keeps it's own time. As we left the farm the farmer was working out who was going to stay with the piglets over night and keep watch for their first night on the earth. It is wonderful the care these people give to the animals that we end up eating on our plates.


On the way home we popped into to Langham park to enjoy the sunshine and let Lucy let off steam. She loved as usual and I kept on encouraging her on the trim trial. She has nearly got the hang of the stepping blocks now and can almost make it from one to another one her own. I'm just there to give her the confidence to do it on her own and catch her if she falls. Soon she won't need me at all and she will be doing it all on her own. I'm so proud of all she can do. I'm so proud of all of them.

When we got home I got dinner on and Lucy went off to watch a DVD on the mac mini in the family room. You can guess which one if you have been reading recent posts. Good thing is that it is normally just long enough to keep her busy while I get the dinner cooked, but not tonight. We had a gammon joint with boiled potatoes and mixed vegetables. We hadn't had a gammon joint for ages and having the Tesco club points to spend we splashed out on something special and tasty. It was all rather yummy and Lucy managed to eat almost all her dinner.

They was a little bit of time left before Lucy went to bed and we made the most of it playing. Her batteries were really starting to run dry of energy as she went up the stairs. After all the usual bedtime activities and her cuddles from everyone she fell asleep, only to be woken by a nightmare a few hours later. Thankfully after a bit cuddle and some reassuring words she drifted off again in to a land of happier dreams. 

I have had a great day with Lucy. Seeing the pigs being born was wonderful. We timed it just right to see something special. I wish Emily and Catherine had been there to see it too, but I know they will be having a lovely time with there mum. I can't wait until tomorrow. The plan is we return to the farm to see how are piglets are doing and find out how many piglets mummy pig had in the end.

No comments: