Thursday, 27 October 2011

Ironic

While I was in the supermarket the person in front of me was showing me the front page of the Rutland Times. It had the story of a house that cost over four million pounds that might have to be pulled down because it has failed to meet the planning application. 


It seems ironic that this privately built building might have to be pulled down because of a technicality while Rutland Country Council give commercial developers permission to build what they want where they want without even listening to the people that elect them or take note of what they are say. The conversation turned to the planning process and the comment was made by one of the people I was talking to that the whole process is fishy and it depends what is in for it for the council or who you know. We all agreed it was ironic that the house was being pulled down given what the County Council are doing. 

From there of course it moved on to the housing developments around Oakham. This isn't the first time I have had a discussion about the Rutland Country Councils plans for the development of Oakham. Every time I talk to people about this subject they all agree that we don't need the Hawksmead development or the development on Uppingham Road. Nobody is in favour of it except for Rutland County Council and the developers. They all see it as being a nightmare for the Oakham and the surrounding area and it is the last thing they want for Rutland. 

A couple of names of councillors came up, one I have heard before, and what amazes me from what I have heard is how these people get elected time and time again. There is something serious wrong with a county council that doesn't listen to the people and does things there personal gain.

I don't know what we can do to stop Rutland Country Council and the Developers and to stop the destruction of the countryside and of beautiful Oakham. The Government have loaded the new purposed planning legislation in favour of the developers and are effectively offering bribes to Councils to approve any development. As for us, the people, we are told we can have a say, but if we don't say yes to new developments then we will be ignored.

I care about the place I live, the place I want to bring my children up, and the place I moved to get away from the crime and pollution of the cities and the large towns. I want Rutland to be nice for their children too and that is why so passionate about all this as I am about all other things I care so much or more about in life.

No comments: