Friday, 28 October 2011

Mild and Sunny

The weather forecast had the temperature just reaching double figures at it's highest point. Thankfully it was wrong and after a misty but sunny start the temperatures rose to the fifteen degree mark and the sun stayed out all day. You could ask more of a day in late October, after all it is so often grey and wet this time of years and you end up stuck in the house. It was the start of a shortened weekend with Lucy, she has a party to go to on Sunday afternoon.


Compared to the mornings of the last few days it was an early start this morning. I actually had to set the alarm to make sure I got up in time to get ready to go out and pick up Lucy. So after a coffee, a wash and a shave I checked I had everything before leaving. I didn't want a repeat of the last time I picked her up and have to go back half way there for her something I had forgotten. That would have been a disaster. Thankfully all went well and I left the house on time with everything I needed.

The misty, but beautiful, drive to Leicester seemed like an age today. As always I was excited  about seeing Lucy, but I was apprehensive at the other reaction I would get after last time which felt so awful. Thankfully it went somewhat smoother than I expected, although I still find it all so hard. I got the greatest of welcomes from Lucy as opened the door. I was so pleased to see her and as we set off from the door we had to be called back to pick up her car seat for her grandmother who was taking her back. After we put the seat in the boot we headed off back to the countryside, stopping near the Glenfields Hospital to see the horses before containing on our way chatting as we went.


The sun was shinning as we were driving home and I kept looking at the grass. I was hoping that it would dry out before we reached the horsey park. I really wanted to make the most of the nice morning but the mist must have last too long and the sun wasn't hot enough to dry it out. By the time we reached the park it was clear it was going to be a miss for today. A shame really as I know we both love going there and it breaks the journey nicely. So we carried on home for a drink and to drop off Lucy's things before continuing the the adventure for the day. I love the way the first she does when she gets inside the house is see George and today was no different. He gave her a grand welcome.

After our drink and a little play it was out again this time to get some lunch. The destination the best bakers in Rutland. The bakers in Uppingham that make some of the best bread rolls I have every eaten. It din't take long to get there and soon we were down by shore Eyebrook Reservoir looking at the water as we ate. In fact it would be more descriptive to say the lack of water as the reservoir is very low at the moment. However that has a plus side as it has brought an amazing number of birds to the reservoir and with them bird watchers who were making the best of the good weather too.


From the reservoir we headed on with the adventure and to the ultimate destination for someone that is nearly four. We headed to Peterborough down the A47 in search of a toy shop. In particular the large Toys R Us they have there. Lucy didn't know but the idea was to get her a early birthday present. The rest she will get the next time we see her after her birthday when we can at last have a party. When we got there her little eyes lit up as soon as she saw the sign. Soon we were going around the aisles looking at all the toys and trying out the mega expensive electric toy cars. The plan was to get her something she could have fun on and would last her at least a couple of years. The present in question was a scooter, although with three wheels it was the same basic design as the two wheel scooters for bigger children that would grow with her. When she saw it she loved it and it was a sale.

With the scooter safely in the boot of the car we headed back to Rutland, this time by the more direct route that would get us home as soon as possible. This involved going down the A47, then A1 before heading back to Rutland on the A606. A journey of between thirty five to forty minutes which Lucy managed to miss by sleeping though most of it. She woke up just as we were heading into the village. She got the timing just right and pointed out the hot air balloon floating through the sky. It was the red Virgin balloon that often appears on beautiful clear skied sunny days.


When we got home we quickly unpacked the scooter and she tired it out in the living room and kitchen and gave it the thumbs up and so after a quick coffee we set out again. This time to give the scooter a good try out in Oakham Park. The playground was ideal in that it a soft surface so any mistakes and falls wouldn't hurt too much and would not result in tears. In fact there was only one fall when she just went a little too fast and she bushed herself off and carried on her way. All the other things in the playground, other than the swings, didn't really get use. The scooter took over all her attention. By the time it was time to leave she was super confident and was whizzing around like she had been using it for weeks. As you can imagine, with something new to play with, she didn't want to leave but we had to in the end and she agreed.

Once we finished at the park we popped into the supermarket to get some extra's to spice up what I had in for dinner. We also needed some extra's for Lucy stay which includes a whole bottle of milk which she will drink in no time at all. She seems to love drinking milk while she is here. We also picked up a few other household essentials we were short of. It didn't take long and as always we had loads of fun around the shops and Lucy charmed the check out person as normal.


For dinner we had a variation on the sausages and butter nut squash bake we had a few weeks ago. As they say all good cooks like to tinker and although I might not be good I do like to try and mix things up now and again. It must be the chemist in me. To the sausages, red onions, sage and the butternut squash I added some sweet potatoes. I'm happy yo say it worked a treat. It was absolutely lovely. I can't wait to try it out on Emily and Catherine too. It seems to have something for everyone.

After dinner we played until time ran out. Lucy had a bath and played with some new bath toys we had picked up at the toy story. She had a whale of a time in the bath and it was so much fun. Nobody wanted it to end but she needs her sleep and so it had to come to end. After her stories, her inhaler for her chest and kisses she was soon asleep, but it wasn't the last time I saw her before I went to bed. She fell out of bed and I had this rather bemused little one in my arms downstairs with me as I cuddled her before putting her to bed again. It was all rather sweet in a way. I love her and her sisters so much.

It has been a lovely day with Lucy. Although I miss Emily and Catherine it has been nice to just spend sometime with Lucy on her own and I know they will be having a smashing time with their mum. I can't wait to see them tomorrow. I know Emily has a sleep over tomorrow night and things have changed but I hope she and Lucy can make good use of what time they have together. Lucy has a party to go to, as I said, and we are losing out on our Sunday afternoon with her and on the party we had all planned for her birthday. These things can't be helped and we will put our party on hold and I know Lucy will have a great time at the party she is going to with her grandmother. I just hope we get the time back sometime because for me the time we have altogether is precious. I have asked but there been no reply yet.

I know I keep going on about how Lucy moving to Leicester has affected things but the fact is it has affected how much I see her and I feel cut off from her life now and that is not something I ever wanted, but it is what has happened. I hope one day that I will be included in Lucy's life and that is a dream I will pursue because it matters to me.  I'm not evil and I'm not bad I'm just me and I love the things and people I love in life and I always will do what I can to help.

No comments: