Saturday, 15 October 2011
X-Factor - Act of the Week
Not sure what to say about this weeks show. I'm really disappointed with tonight show and I'm not sure what is wrong this year. I really can't put my finger on it. I can see potential in some of the acts and I can see most of them are working hard but something is missing from the show. One thing is some of the song choices have been a bit suspect especially for the boys group, but it is not just the boys that don't seem to be doing showing what it takes in the show, it is other acts too and the production seems off.
Normally someone stands out and a few acts have that wow factor but for me tonight none of them really did it. They didn't produced that moment you feel in your soul that you are watching something special. So now I'm stuck picking from the whole bunch based on what seems average performances. Given I don't have any wow factor to go on, this weeks artist of the week will be picked on just based on who I enjoyed the most.
The choice I was faced with was a straight fight between the band "The Risk" and Janet Devlin. Although both lacked the wow factor but they did a good job compared to the rest. I felt for Janet who lost one of her relatives and I feel she really put that into her perfomance. She did a fine job of singing her song and I must admit I agree with the judges that nobody could have sung the song better in the competition. It was a lovely performance but for me it was the band that just edged off the top spot. For starters I loved the song and they did a great job of singing it, although at the time I thought the sound production was off when I got to play it back on YouTube I realised it was more to do technical issues, that seem to be plaguing the show this year, than the performance itself. They did a lovely job and I can really see them doing well if the continue to up their game. I'm sure Janet will edge them on the YouTube this week but I liked the band more this time round.
The two other performances of note that I enjoyed was those by Melissa B and Kitty. I can see a lot of potential in both acts although are both at different ends of the spectrum. I like Melissa B and her urban sound. She really stands out and I hope we will see a lot more of her. She has something special and that is one makes her different on the show and it makes me want to know more about her style of music. Kitty is something else and she comes across as the complete performer who is big and brash , there is nothing wrong with that but the judges are right if she can't connect to the public then she not going to last long. She really does have to show that softer side of her and tone it all down or she is going to be going before her time. Personally I enjoyed the contrast and energy in her performance tonight but even if she can do that again and again it feels like she is hiding something and until she stops hiding she won't win the public over.
Well that is it for this week. I just hope that next weeks show is a lot better than this weeks effort. Something needs to be done to turn things around before it is too late and the audience figures start to drop.

No comments:
Post a Comment