Sunday, 2 October 2011

Hot Sunday

The heat wave continues and after all the disruption to the day before we were all set to make the most of the time we had left together. The plan was simple to have as much fun as possible. Thankfully Lucy had a much better night than the one before. She slept right through and her breathing was far easier when I checked her during the night. The inhaler certainly had done it work and made things easier for her and she woke in a a super mood. It was just what we wanted.


It was lovely to hear her cheery voice calling my names as I woke up. I already knew she was in a good mood and happy and I got the it's sunny line as she looked out of the window. It was what I wanted to hear and soon we had all her things together, after I had given her her inhaler, and we went downstairs and she sat in my chair as I got on with making her a tea and myself a coffee. It wasn't long before I was sitting with her, waking up, watching television and waiting for Catherine to join us. She was so much better than the day before and hardly coughing at all.

It wasn't long until Catherine joined us. May be half an hour at most and as soon she came downstairs she made breakfast for them both and they were sitting at the table chatting and I explained the things we were going to try and do in the day. I wanted to get as much in as possible and hopefully not miss out on any of the things that they all wanted to do as well. They both seemed pleased with the plans but it depended on was Emily getting back before lunch, so I got Catherine to send her some text's to find out what time she was coming back. The problem was we had to wait for a reply, in true practicing teenager form we were certain she would be snoozing. It is great seeing them growing up but it does make planning a nightmare at times.


After breakfast the girls went off into the family room to pass the time until we could finalise the plans for the day. Emily had said she would be back early but her idea of early is different from everyone else's so we had to wait. Lucy and Catherine didn't seem to mind and they just got on with watching television, playing and messing around making things. Lucy had great fun sticking and drawing. It is something that Catherine loves doing with her. Catherine still has her art side and at the moment she wants to be a clothes designer. It something I more than happy to encourage her to do and it sort of runs in the family as I have a cousin already in the business who use to work designing children's clothes for George the ASDA own brand.

Eventually we managed to contact Emily. It was what we were waiting for to get on with the main fun of the day, not that were weren't having fun already. We just need to get out and enjoy the lovely weather rather than spending the day in the house. Days like this are rare in October. By mid morning the mercury in the thermometer was already passed the low twenties mark. Now we had a time we could head out to the shops and get all we needed for the rest of the day, and that meant getting stuff for a picnic. Something all the girls enjoy.



Once at the supermarket we got all we need, Bread Rolls, Ham, Tomatoes, Cheesy Curls, Drinks, Fruit and Garlic Sausage for me which I had with coleslaw one of my all time favourite foods if you exclude bacon and mushrooms which beats everything, especially in the morning. We also got all we needed until the shops opened again on Monday, and a little extra for Lucy to take back to her mummies including some sweets for herself and her sister and something to play with. Nothing expensive, we just don't have the cash, just a little thing. It is the least I can do, since in my heart I feel I have let her down by not seeing her as much as I did in the past. Anyway, I'm getting side tracked, we were soon home again and we only had to wait a few minutes before Emily arrived and we all got on with making ham and tomato rolls and packing all we needed into a bag to take with us.

Soon we were all in the car and heading out to the shores of Rutland Water and the adventure playground. with our bag food. Lucy was especially excited when we got out of the car but we managed to divert her attention from the adventure playground to the grassy area by the side of the water so we could eat first. It was lovely down by the water. While inland, just hundred meters away, the wind was warm and didn't take anything away from the heat of the day, but by the water it had a cooling effect making it a very pleasant place to eit as we watched the sailing boats on the water race by. The picnic was lovely and soon as we finished eating the girl started playing chase games on the grass and rolling around in fits of laughter when they got caught and tickled. 


After a while we all decided to go to the adventure playground area for a while. Lucy headed straight for the swings while Emily and Catherine went off to the climbing area. It wasn't long before both the older girls came back over to join me and Lucy. The choice of the swing was a good one by Lucy as it was out of the hot sunshine and in the shade. After they had cooled down and Lucy had finished on the swing it was back to the main part of the adventure playground for them all. The did their best to make the most of what there is to play with but with the but in the end the heat beat them and only spent another thirty minutes or so playing there before the older two just gave up. All the same they seemed to have fun climbing and messing about on the trim trail. Lucy in particular has master how to get up to the slide and was making good use of the skill she learnt last time we were there. To cool off we all returned to the banks of the water and the cool breeze to watch the people flying and kites and we just generally relaxed and enjoyed the sun.

With about an hour and half to go before Lucy had return to her mummies in Leicester we left Rutland Water and headed back towards home to pick up Lucy's things and a football before we headed out again for the final part of the afternoon. One of the things Lucy wanted to do was see the piggies but she also wanted to go to the horsey park. We had time to do both so we asked what she wanted to do and she decided that she wanted spend all her time at the park. So that is where we had headed. Having a football with us we all hope we could have some fun on the small football pitch there, but as it happened it was already in use. The local children's football club were using the pitch for practice. All the same we made good use of the park and the playground before turning there attention to the game they had played with the football with Millie a couple of weeks before. Soon they were all chasing all over the place, laughing and giggling playing chase the person with the ball. It was just a shame it all had to come to an end.


Just before we left the park we got Lucy changed into her mummies clothes in the car and bushed her hair. I really didn't want her going back looking a mess and as we started the thirty minute or so drive back Emily, who was sitting next to her, cleaned up her face and hands up. As we drove the car was silent unlike the trips when she is coming to Rutland. The girls tried to start conversations with Lucy but she wasn't taking the bait. Anyway we were soon pulling into the housing estate and driving down the road on which her mummy lives. Soon we were parked near the house. It was with bag in hand and after kisses and cuddles from everyone that Lucy entered the house through an open door calling for her mummy and she was gone. I hope one day I lose that sinking feeling I get in my gut when she leaves, it is like being kicked hard in the stomach and it is worse now than it was before.

On the way back we popped back to the horsey park to play football, to lift my mood. I though I had a great weekend there was another underling angry theme that started on Saturday and was sure to go on into the week. It just left me feeling a bit flat at times over the weekend and with Lucy gone this feeling just got worse and kicked in. I needed a distraction and a bit of fun. I really didn't want to take the mood home with me. Thankfully the girls were up for enjoying the end of day in he sun and we all had a grand time. It was just what we needed, especially me.

When we got back home I got on with making everyone some dinner while the girls did the homework they had for Monday and then settled down to watch some television together and unwind. When dinner was ready we all sat down at the table and chatted about Lucy and the weekend and all that had gone on. I always feel it is good to get everything out in the open and discuss it rather than let them hold it all in.  One thing that came out of it all was we are looking forward to seeing Lucy again. 

After dinner the Catherine went back to watching television and Emily went on the computer to catch up with her friends. This took them up to bedtime and with school in the morning and a busy weekend under their belt they were soon asleep and I could wait to join them in the land of dreams. 

I have had a lovely weekend with all the girls and I can't wait to have them again together. With the coming school holidays we are hoping to share Lucy equally with her mummy which should give us fives and half days with her, and five sleeps, as Lucy calls the nights she sleeps over with us. I just hope that in the meantime the medicine we got her from the Doctors helps and she is soon one hundred percent again.

No comments: