Friday, 14 October 2011
Sunny Autumnal Friday
When i got up and looked out the window it looked lovely out if a bit misty. I just hoped the the sunshine wouldn't be like the days before that disappeared into the cloud. Thankful it didn't and the sun stayed with us for the rest of the day. It was just whet we needed on the start of Lucy's five night stay.
It was an early start for Emily and Catherine and myself. We all had to get up early as we needed to be out by eight so that Emily and Catherine could get round to Emily friends before school. This meant for the girls getting themselves out of bed at seven so they could get up and get ready for school and have some breakfast as well as getting some food prepared for their packed lunch. As always Catherine was ready to leave first and ended up hurrying Emily along, which thankfully worked and we got where we needed to be on time.
When I got home there was a time for a leisurely cup of coffee before getting ready to drive to Leicester to pick up Lucy. I didn't think anything could go wrong today there was plenty of time but I had forgot I had taken Lucy car seat out of boot the car a week earlier and I was nearly half way there when I realised and had to drive back to get it. Gone was the nice gently drive and I was racing down the country lanes. Thankfully the car loves being driven hard and has the, brakes, suspension and ride to match the this type of driving. It wasn't long before I was heading out again for the second time to Leicester.
I'm not sure what time we arrived but it I was I late again. I really wasn't happy with myself. All the same, when I got to the door I still got a wonderful welcome from Lucy. I was so pleased to see her and she was pleased to see me. She said she had missed me which was rather sweet. It was lovely to be able to give her a cuddle again. I do miss them. Soon her mummy came to the door with her bag and as we shouted goodbye mummy the door was closed quickly and we headed down the path to the car. Soon we were heading back to the countryside in the car, this time taking our time and chatting all the way. She grows up so much every time I see her. Not just physically but in terms of the words she says and the things she can do. I forgot how quickly they learn at this age even after bring Emily and Catherine through this time of life before her. It just an amazing time for them.
On the way back to Rutland she asked if we were going to the horsey park and looking at the sunshine the answer had to be a big yes. How could we miss it out with autumn upon us the number the chances we are going to get to go the park are going diminish as we head into the cold months ahead. Although the sun was shining it wasn't as warm as it was there last time we were their. The heatwave is well and truly over and wind is cold again, but that didn't stop us enjoying ourselves. First we headed for the swings and then to the slide. This time the park lived up to it name and she ran to the gate, at one point, to wave at the rider and the horse that passed. After messing on the trim trail and then the climbing frame we settled down to play shops, with a tire at a counter, until it was time to move on.
The next port of call was the sandwich shop and the butchers in Oakham to get some food. Lucy loved going to the sandwich shop and watching her prawn roll being made before we popped into the butchers for some of their lovely sausage rolls and scotch eggs. It was with our little haul of food that we drove home to eat and of course to see George the dog, who true to form was the most excited little westie in the world when he saw his partner in crime Lucy. Lunch was lovely and we all a nice time chatting while we ate, but it was only a stop over, there were other places to go today and more fun to be had. After a Lucy had a her juice and finished her food it was back on the road again.
Soon we were in the car heading down the A606 towards Stamford. The destination was Rascals a soft play area. It is the first time we have been there in over a year. What amazed me as soon as we arrived she knew exactly where she was was. Once inside she found the cars and was soon zooming around and when the police car became free she was in her element. Whizzing around and talking on the radio. It is lovely to watch her zooming around with so much energy. Soon all the slides and the the soft play area got a look in too, but the police car was the favourite. By the end she was giving me the microphone of the police car and we were placing cops and robbers with me doing al the silly voices. As always she made some friends in the soft play area who ended up following her around. We spent a few calmer minutes in the under two's area which seemed special for us both. When it came time to go the last go on the slides when on and on, but we managed to get away on time.
Next we headed back to Oakham to pick up Catherine from school. It was all a little confused since Catherine in the morning was unsure if she was going to a friends or not after school. Although we arrived in plenty of time, somehow she managed to miss us. Emily who was also going to town with her friends before going round Anna's House on the other hand found us and gave Lucy a massive hug. It turned out that Emily hadn't seen Catherine since lunch and didn't know what she was doing so we were no wiser what she was doing. What was worse was unbeknown to us and her, at the time, the mobile she had with her had run out while she was at school. All we could do after several calls was to assume she was at her friends and would turn up for tea at six. All the same, although I knew what had probably happened it I was still concerned I couldn't get hold of her. Thankfully Oakham is relatively safe compared other places, so I knew she would be alright.
When we got home I headed out the village park with Lucy. I was telling her that they had added some new things to play with at the park and when I mentioned they some new little people swings she decided they were her swings and the park should from this moment onwards be called "Lucy's Park". So when we arrived we had a official opening ceremony renamed the park and we tried out the new swings. I must say for little people's swings are rather good. With Lucy desire to go higher and higher they managed to fulfil her needs perfectly. Then the was the new trim trail to try out. She managed the log and the rope perfectly first time but some of the other new things are going to longer to master and present her with a new challenge. All the same she gave them a go before going to play on the slide and the bicycle ramp. Before we left there was time for some the imaginative play she loves as well. It was only the setting of the sun forced us to leave as the temperature dropped. There was last thing to do and that was to walk around the village bathed in the warm yellow glow of the setting sun which brings out all the rich colours of the autumn trees. It is beautiful this time of year.
It wasn't long after we got home from the park when Catherine turned up and we worked out what happened with the phone and how she had missed us. She promised to make sure that she charges it every night in feature and I pointed out that I need some notice about what happening in feature when she knew her plans were set. As she understood where she went wrong it I didn't take it further. I just made sure she knew what would happen if it happens again.
There seems to be a patten developing when Emily is round her friends for the evening and Lucy is here, instead of cooking we ended up at the fish and chip shop in the Oakham. Not a bad thing once in a while and a nice treat for everyone, and something we hadn't done since Lucy was here a couple of weeks ago. It was a good move and every loved what they picked and the chat around the table as we ate was lively and fun.
Lucy and Catherine settled down to playing and watching television before it was time for Lucy to head up the stairs for bed. A happy and tired little girl went upstairs to listen to her stories from Catherine and myself. It was long after her cuddles and kisses she fell asleep. Then we watched the television until until Emily turned up and finally both the older of the girls went to bed living me to reflect on the day.
I can't say how wonderful it was to see Lucy again today and I can't wait for the weekend to start in full and to have all the girls together again. The opportunity to have Lucy for five nights is wonderful and I plan to enjoy ever moment of our time together. Nothing will get in the way of that. Who knows when we will have this chance again, it could be a long long way off looking at the plans that are in place at the moment. Tomorrows weather forecast is set fine so we need to make as much use of the day as possible, for the two days that follow it doesn't look so good. All the same if it rains we will make plans to have fun making and doing things. I can't wait for tomorrow to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment