Tuesday, 18 October 2011
Cold Tuesday
The day started and sunny but the wind was bitterly could especially in the morning and after a quiet day yesterday I wanted to at least do something to break up the day. Sitting indoors most of the day wasn't an option as long as it didn't rain and that didn't seem to be a possibility. So plans were made to get out into the countryside in the afternoon and we selected a couple of places Lucy wanted to visit for her last full day with us.
This morning I was first up and I was followed down the stairs by Catherine. Lucy was still in her land of dreams. I even managed to have a quiet coffee and Catherine settled down to watch "Sarah Janes Adventures" on CBBC. It wasn't until I had finished my coffee that I heard the sounds of little foot steps coming down the stairs. When I went to help her with her things I was greeted by a massive beaming smile. Once we had her bits safely on the sofa in the family room I got a massive hug.
I pottered off to the kitchen to get both girls breakfast and they had ate it watching television together in the family room. Not surprisingly Lucy wasn't too interested in what Catherine was watching, especially when a monster appeared with a ray gun, and soon she was sitting in her little chair and watching Peppa Pig on the mac mini. After a while Lucy decided it was time for Emily to join her and off she went upstairs to jump into her bed and tickle her until she woke up. I must say I do approve of her methods although I don't know who gave her those ideas, lol.
Emily appeared after she went though the rather exaggerated dressing procedures whose reason and method is only known and understood by other practicing teenagers. When she did get into the family room we managed to wrestle the television away from the "Sarah Janes Adventures" addict and we put on a old computer game that I had brought to take on holiday to Durham before Lucy was born. Emily then sat down with Lucy on the floor and played some of the games with her and later I joined in playing with Emily as Catherine played with Lucy. I had forgot how addictive those old games were in there time.
This took us nicely up to the time to get some food in for lunch and for dinner and so we popped into Oakham to go to the supermarket. It was so cold out in the wind despite the clear blue skies but thankfully we were rapped up warm. I zoomed around the supermarket with Lucy and soon we were done and we had loads of fun playing as we went along. Once we were outside again Lucy wanted a go on the Postman Pat ride and I had the pennies in my pocket to say yes. She had the biggest smile once she pushed the button and the ride started and I love the way she never complains when the ride comes to an end.
Once home I got on with making the Hot Dogs that Lucy had picked from the choices I gave her while I was going around the shop. What I love about cooking Hot Dogs is they are quick to do and which means I don't waste time cooking and that gives me more time to enjoy the fun. Once cooked the Hot Dogs hit the spot and filled everyones bellies and after drinks we headed out into the sunny but cold afternoon.
The first destination for the afternoon was Northfield Farm on the edge of Rutland. Lucy the last time she was here wanted to see the pigs and today, given it was too cold for the park, it seemed like an ideal place to go. When we drove up to the farm there were a group of adorable little piglets sheltering form the wind in the sunshine, they looked rather cold but sweet. As soon as we parked Lucy was out of the car and was headed to the pig pens to see the mummy pigs and the piglets. The piglets were quite big now form the last time we saw them. It is amazing how fast the grow and they were all busy eating their apples for there dinner.
It was as we heading towards the children's area that the farmers wife appeared with a plastic bag full of apple cuttings and skins. She was off to feed the shetland pony, the donkey and the lamas and she asked us if we wanted to come along and help her out. We all jumped at the chance and head off with her. Soon Lucy had a handful of apple cuttings and the donkey was eating out of her hand. She was loving it and went into the bag to get another handful apple bits which the donkey happily ate. The only reason we had to stop was the field was full of cattle and they wanted a look in too so with the farmers wife we all headed back to the farm yard and head for the children's corner. The girls loved the small animals and as bonus we found some more piglets that were busy eating apples. In the end the cold got to us and after washing our hands we left and said bye to the animals until another day.
The next destination was Ashwell Garden Centre via the village of Whissendine so Lucy could take a closer look at the windmill whose sails were moving in the wind. The reason for going to the garden centre was because Lucy had decided that she wanted to see the fish as there. It was a place we hadn't for ages so when she suggested it I was surprised she remembered that there were fish there. It is amazing what little things make an impression on little minds.
When we arrived Lucy ran to the bridge to look into the pond and she wasn't disappointed, there bathing in the sunshine there were the fish glistening in the sunshine.I thought next she would want to go into the Maidenhead Aquatics to see more fish, but she had other idea's when she found a golf putter and a round stone to use as a golf ball on the putting green. Soon she was using putter to sink the ball into the hole with a big cheer every time she got it in. Once we did get inside the Aquatics shop we found Catherine coveting some miniature turtles which although beautiful they would be far to expensive for us to keep. Once outside again it was back to the putting ground until the others appeared and we headed back home.
When we got home I put the oven on and I started preparing and cooking dinner, while the girls settled themselves down on the sofa in the family room to watch the a Garfield Movie on the television. That nicely kept them busy and the kitchen free of children except for Lucy who popped in for a cuddle and a drink now again before disappearing back to watch the film.
Fifteen minutes or so after the film was finished dinner was ready. I cooked everyone a Roast Chicken with fresh runner beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy. As always it was lovely to sit around the table and chat about the day and generally have fun. The food was loved by everyone and after the fresh air everyone was hungry.
After the dinner the girls got on with playing with a special instructions to Emily and Catherine to run Lucy's batteries flat after all the food she ate. Not sure it worked but she seemed tired as she headed up the stairs to the land of nod. As normal, and after her bedtime routine, Emily and Catherine read her a story and I read Q Pootle 5 before giving her a kiss and cuddle from the people she loves so much in her little life and she drifted off to sleep.
When I got downstairs Catherine was on BBC iPlayer catching up with Eastenders and Holby City, while Emily was on the mac mini chatting with her friends on Facebook while listening to the programmes Catherine was watching. This worked out nicely for bedtime for them and after doing the dishwasher for me they headed up to bed to catch some sleep before they start another day as I finished the washing.
It has been another super day. I can't say I really looking forward to tomorrow and having Lucy leave us, but at the same time there is something planned to make sure the last few hours together and really happy and fun ones. Hopefully that will help and I won't be left with the same feelings as I had last time she went back to her mummy's.
No comments:
Post a Comment